Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Correction to Dishwasher Analysis

So I made a mistake on the analysis yesterday in discussion. When I said that placing the dish in the dishwasher was an example of gap closing I was wrong. This is a classic mistake for two reason:

1) There was no example of the solution. He didn't have a picture of what the dishwasher looked like with the dish in it that he was comparing the process too, or some other representation of the solution that guided his behavior. So he wasn't closing a gap between the problem and the solution. He did use the environment to solve the problem and I'm sure that there is a lot of other terminology we could apply, but gap closing is not correct to use in this context.

2) The second mistake I made was forcing the data to fit the terminology. Don't fall into this trap, just because we have a lot of terminology to apply doesn't mean it will all work. I'm sure some of it will apply, but don't try to force it into the mold of the language that we develop in discussion. If you spend time on your paper trying to force the data to fit a term that you want to use you will miss out on opportunities to describe the phenomenon in terms that do apply.

I am thinking about adding an office hour on Thursday if there is enough interest, so if you would like some more help on your paper let me know and we can try to work one out.

No comments: